• Scott Bennett

Where will I live when my parents die?

Updated: Feb 28, 2019

It may surprise you to learn that people with intellectual disabilities can ask such profound questions. But they do.

The young man above, Sam, is one of 5 million people with an Intellectual and Developmental Disability (IDD). In his case he's moderately affected, and operates with the IQ of an 8-year-old. At 21, Sam has seen his share of family pass away. In the last three years he's lost two grandparents and his uncle. Before that he lost two golden retrievers who he was very close to and dependent upon to for support.

Friends move on and parents age

Sam is aware that he needs help. He knows he cannot go to college like his best friend, Trace. He knows he can't drive. And he knows that he needs a caregiver, his parents, or someone to look after him. And so it's really not a surprise that Sam would glance at his dad and ask "Dad, are you getting old? Are you going to die? Who will take care of me?"

There are almost 1 million parental caregivers over the age of 60, a number that is expected to double in the next 5 to 10 years. Where will people like Sam live after their parents pass? Perhaps an even better question is where should people like Sam live when they age out of school? After all, most of us crave a place we can call our own. And Sam is no different. He wants to live with his peers and enjoy a packed calendar of activities. And he needs 24/7 attention, and help with meals and making smart decisions.

Living with purpose

Purpose Based Housing Communities can be a great solution for people with moderate intellectual disabilities. However, they are costly, starting at $4,000 a month.

Some people with intellectual disabilities receive supplemental social security income (SSI). However, that only covers about $775 a month. Those who qualify for state waivers or public financial support are often disappointed to learn that their waiver program excludes Purpose Based Housing Communities. Because they can't afford the cost of care families are forced to keep their kids at home or consider less suitable living arrangements. And people like Sam are left behind.

My Home My Life

My Home My Life depends on our generous donors and sponsors to make up the difference. We help individuals with demonstrated financial need close the the gap. We seek a future where people with intellectual and developmental disabilities receive the financial aid they need to live in the housing of their choice, for life.

To learn more and to donate please visit www.myhomemylife.org/donate

Questions, comments? Please email us at info@myhomemlife.org


1675 Wildfire
Frisco, Denton County 75033

©2020, My Home My Life.